The Aims of the Sapporo International Art Festival (SIAF) during the COVID-19 pandemicThe Sapporo International Art Festival 2020 (SIAF2020), which was being prepared to begin in December 2020, was cancelled due to the effects of the...
— From the cancellation of SIAF2020 to holding a special editionAMANO Taro2022年11月10日 更新
- Composer KOSAKI Satoru has led the world of animation songs and animation incidental music in the 2000s and 2010s. The first part of this interview...FUWA Ryozo2022年10月12日 更新
- This is a series of interviews with artists who have pioneered the expression of sounds in the world of media arts, including the fields of animati...FUWA Ryozo2022年10月12日 更新
- Animation is usually appreciated focusing on painted/drawn pictures and images. But animation also incorporates various effects of lenses, such as ...OGURA Kentaro2022年8月18日 更新
For “war play” to be “play”Anime to senso (Anime and War) by the anime critic FUJITSU Ryota, published in the early spring of 2021 (Nippon Hyoron Sha), is a book that takes a...
The distance between fiction and reality in the book Anime and War
A conversation between FUJITSU Ryota and ODAGIRI HiroshiYASUHARA Mahiro2022年7月15日 更新
The future of online art exhibitionsDue to the impact of the novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19), many art exhibitions are now being held online. This series of articles is devoted t...
No. 1: Changes in Japan’s online exhibitions during the COVID-19 pandemicUCHIDA Shinichi2022年6月30日 更新
PUI PUI Molcar, Poptepipic, and more by next-generation creators, who learned and produced animation when studentsWith PUI PUI Molcar creator MISATO Tomoki as a typical example, there is a growing trend for more and more creators who learned and produced animat...TANIGUCHI Ryuichi2022年6月13日 更新
How does information technology design the interaction between people?What has changed most since the 1990s is probably the relationship between works and viewers. In “The Death of the Author” (1967), Roland BARTHES...
No. 1: Another internet is possible: reconsidering communication through the reproduction of FUJIHATA’s Light on the NetIMURA Yasuko2022年3月16日 更新
- Japan’s borders have been closed to tourism for nearly two years now, making social media services and online news reports a lifeline for fans keep...Matthew ALT2022年2月8日 更新
- TANAKA Kohei is a unique composer who has been specializing in creating music for animation and video games since the 1980s until today. He started...FUWA Ryozo2022年1月20日 更新
- This is a series of interviews with artists who have pioneered the expression of sounds in the world of media arts, including the fields of animati...FUWA Ryozo2022年1月20日 更新
- WADA Atsushi is an award-winning animation artist whose works having intriguing and mysterious atmosphere with memorable characters have been highl...YASUHARA Mahiro2021年12月13日 更新
- Pixel art (dotto-e in Japanese) is a form of visual representation. The term “pixel art” may imply retro game graphics as it was the mainstream of ...MATSUNAGA Shinji2021年11月8日 更新
Report on the 23rd Japan Media Arts Festival Cross-Division TalkThe “23rd Japan Media Arts Festival Award-Winning Works Exhibition” was held from September 19 (Sat.) to 27 (Sun.). Related events, such as tal...
“The Distance Between Creative Expression and Society”2021年9月14日 更新
- On the subject of “advertising manga,” this article explores how manga, a complex combination of panels, bubbles and other elements, have been ...TSUKADA Yutaka2021年8月3日 更新
- On the subject of “advertising manga,” this article explores how manga, a complex combination of panels, speech bubbles and other elements, hav...TSUKADA Yutaka2021年8月3日 更新
- The novel coronavirus has been spreading around the world. Amid this situation, Ring Fit Adventure, an action role-playing video game released ...ONO Kenji2021年7月1日 更新
- The number of Hollywood-made Kaiju characters soared as the 21st century began. Today, the broadcasting period of the Ultraman series is shortened ...
DNA of the king of Kaiju (Godzilla) is alive and well across the worldGodzilla has a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame. Godzilla is the only Japanese fictional character ever honored with a star on the famous sidewal...
No. 3: The U.S.A. and Godzilla
- How did “Kaiju,” derived from Japan’s Godzilla, spread across the world? How did it spread in the United States, the homeland of King Kong that sta...
- Overseas enthusiasts call Japanese monsters “Kaiju,” a Japanese word meaning “monster,” to clearly distinguish them from “Monsters” in their co...
Schools fostering media artThis is Part 2 of the file1 featuring the Department of Information Design of Tama Art University (hereafter referred to as TAU). The department ...
File 1. Tama Art University, Department of Information Design: Prof. Akihiro Kubota × Prof. Mitsuhiro Miyazaki (Part 2)SATO Emi2021年3月5日 更新
Schools fostering media artThis is a series of face-to-face talks by university teachers on schools to learn media art. The file1. will spotlight Tama Art University, which...
File 1. Tama Art University, Department of Information Design: Prof. Akihiro Kubota × Prof. Mitsuhiro Miyazaki (Part 1)SATO Emi2021年3月5日 更新
Iku Harada: Another World Map of 10th YearIku Harada is a painter who does landscapes configured with simple shapes and bright colors. The motif of this piece is a virtual island landscap...
An island that keeps expanding by absorbing a variety of thingsSAKAMOTO Nodoka2021年2月22日 更新
Golden age of manga magazines—1985-95 witnessed by editors No. 4: Masahiko Ibaraki, former head editor of Shukan Shonen Jump by Shueisha Inc. Part 2This is the fourth installment of a series of interviews with editors of manga magazines, focusing on the past and the future of the genre. This in...NAKANO Haruyuki2021年2月2日 更新
Golden age of manga magazines—1985-95 witnessed by editors No. 3: Masahiko Ibaraki, former head editor of Shukan Shonen Jump by Shueisha Inc. Part 1Manga magazines were in full flourish in the period of 1985-95. How was the scene like in those years? This subject will be thoroughly explored thr...NAKANO Haruyuki2021年2月2日 更新
- From May 23 to August 26, 2019, a manga exhibition titled “Citi exhibition Manga” was held at the British Museum in London, known as one of the b...YOO Sookyung2021年1月21日 更新
Report on the 22nd Japan Media Arts Festival Exhibition of Award-winning Works (Part 2):The 22nd Japan Media Arts Festival Exhibition of Award-winning Works was held from June 1 to June 16 in and around Miraikan (the National Museum ...
The Exhibition at Fuji Television Wangan Studio2020年9月18日 更新
Report on the 22nd Japan Media Arts Festival Exhibition of Award-winning Works (Part 1):The 22nd Japan Media Arts Festival Exhibition of Award-winning Works was held from Saturday, June 1 to Sunday, June 16 in and around Miraikan (th...
The Exhibition at Miraikan-The National Museum of Emerging Science and Innovation2020年9月18日 更新
- Sony Interactive Entertainment LLC (SIE) announced in October 2019 that it would release a next-generation game console PlayStation®5 (PS5) in th...ONO Kenji2020年9月16日 更新
- Pixel art (dotto-e in Japanese) is a form of visual representation. The term “pixel art” implies “retro game graphics” as it was the mainstream o...MATSUNAGA Shinji2020年9月14日 更新
- The Annecy International Animation Film Festival is the world’s largest annual animation festival. Held in Annecy, France, it features competitio...OKAMOTO Mitsuko2020年9月9日 更新
- Following World War II, Japanese animation developed into a new medium of expression that had a powerful impact on various industries and even othe...2020年7月22日 更新
Report on ‘PIGMENT COLOR PHILOSOPHY Vol. 5:The fifth “PIGMENT COLOR PHILOSOPHY” talk session featuring a professional color artist as a guest was held at PIGMENT TOKYO, an art materials sh...
Colors of clouds and skies—scenes created by hand painting,’ a talk session featuring Nizo YamamotoAIKAWA Maki2020年6月30日 更新
- Japanese manga has won enthusiastic fans from all over the world. Do you know that the passions of certain people enabled Japanese manga to be ex...SHIINA Yukari2020年6月8日 更新